For small business owners, creating interesting, valuable and entertaining content consistently for their audiences is a hard and time consuming task. The great thing is however that when you really sit down and think about it, your business itself is full of great sources of interesting content, from your day to day activities, your highs and lows to your charity work and competitions, they are all situations that can provide you with great ideas for content that will delight, inform and entertaining your audience online.
With the New Year almost upon us and the start of a new month coming up soon now is a great time to refresh your social media presence and dedicate some time to delight your audience with fresh pieces of content every day! Lucky for you I have already done the hard part for you and have brainstormed a list of 31 content ideas that you can implement and try on your social media platforms for a month! You can try all 31 or pick and choose and adapt as you see fit, the important thing is to make sure you consistently share fresh, new and entertaining content with your audiences daily. Ensure during the month that you learn what works well and what content your audience resonates best with, as the more you share your story and encourage engagement from your audience, the more you will find out about them, ensuring that you create great content in the future that targets your audience perfectly!
Ready to get going? Here are 31 ideas for the next 31 days:
1. Profile one of your members of staff – By sharing staff photos and information you help humanise your brand.
2. Share a Personal Story – People love to see the humans behind the brand and read what they get up to, so if you have an interesting story that you are happy to tell your audience, then share it with them.
3. Show your Charity/Community work – If you or your business supports a charity or gives back to the local community, document and share what you do/have done.
4. Provide a Useful Tip or bit of Advice – Providing a useful and informative tip or advice always generates interest. You can share one of your own or spotlight one of your customer’s tips or advice for your product that they themselves have found.
5. Create a How-To– how-to posts are great for informing your audience and promoting your products uses. Is there is more than one way to use your product or service? Or a way of using your product that no one has thought of? If so then describe it in a how-to post.
6. Create an Award – Giving awards such as a ‘Best of’ or ‘Customer of the Month’ is guaranteed to gather attention.
7. Share your Customer Feedback – customer testimonials can go a great way in terms of gathering attention, if you have a great testimonial then ask permission to share it.
8. Reveal an Industry Secret – People are always drawn to information that reveals secrets they wouldn’t normally find out. Therefore exposing secrets from your industry will be sure to get attention.
9. Interview an Industry Expert or Celebrity – If you have an industry expert that is of interest to your customers or are lucky enough to have a celebrity contact then a quick and easy interview post with them can generate a lot of interest.
10. Share Your Passion – Telling a personal story and aspect about you helps to humanise your brand and inspire your audience.
11. Host Contest or Competition – Contests always generates engagement and interest just be sure to make the prize relevant and worthwhile to your audience.
12. Take a Reader Poll – if you want serious questions answering or just simply for fun, polling you audience can be a great way to gather useful information and engage your audience.
13. Tell your Story – everybody loves to read about other people’s dreams, aspirations and challenges, so write about why and how you started your business and the ups and downs you have faced on your journey.
14. Share Relevant News – if you know that a current event is going to interest or affect your customers or audience then share it with them.
15. Ask an Engaging Question – is there something you want to find out or know about your customers? Then ask them and let your readers create the content.
16. Share a Highlight – Document a big milestone you have recently celebrated or was in your business history and tell your audience about that important moment and how it changed your business.
17. Share Something Inspiring – People like to feel inspired so write about what inspires you and keeps you positive.
18. Show Behind the Scenes – People love to see behind the scenes as it shows them an aspect of your business that they wouldn’t normally see.
19. Create a FAQ – Compile a list of the most common questions you get asked, write the answers to them and share them.
20. Review a Book or Article – Share a review of a book or an interesting article you think your audience will find valuable and relevant.
21. Review a Product or Service – If there is a product or service that is relevant to your customers then write about it.
22. Post a Video – Videos gather a lot of attention if they are inspiring and provide something valuable to the viewer whether that be information or entertainment.
23. Compile a Useful Resource List – Having a resource list full of information such as good links, websites or good books related to your business can be a very valuable resource for your customers.
24. Share an Upcoming Event your Business is Involved in or Attending – If you are attending an event then be sure to take photos and document what you do. Even if the event is not directly related to your business, taking photos and sharing them still has the added benefit of humanising your brand.
25. Profile a Business you Work With – If you work with some other great businesses then give them free advertisement and tell your customers about them. The likelihood is that the other business will return the favour.
26. Share Your Vision – If your business philosophy is unique and you offer something different from your competitors then share it with your audience.
27. The Story Behind One of Your Products/Services – if there is an interesting story behind one of your products or services then share it with your audience.
28. A Day in the Life – Day in the life posts work similarly to behind the scenes posts as they offer the reader an aspect of your business they wouldn’t normally get to see. Give customers an hour-by-hour account of a typical day at your business from the viewpoint of one of your employees.
29. Offer Something Special – If you have a special event planned or simply want to announce a new product then make sure you write about it. For extra attention make if you want to run a giveaway along with your special announcement.
30. Make a Prediction – Share your opinion on what you think the future holds for an aspect of your industry.
31. Discuss your Future Plans – Give readers a sneak peek at what you have planned for the future to start generating interest.